Friday, October 16, 2009

Turtle Burgers in Paradise



On our first visit to George Town on Grand Cayman Island, Karen and I saw Paradise Resturant sitting right on the waterfront and thought it would be an excellent spot for lunch. Before our meal was ended we regretted our choice and I would not eat there again.

One thing I did like about the restaurant is that it offers a splendid view of the waterfront and Eden Rock. While sitting at our table we were able to photograph crabs Clamoring about on the coral rock as waves gently lapped over it.

Otherwise, the food was mediocre at best, our service was unusually slow and inattentive and the price was very high for what we got. They charged much more than I would have expected for a small glass of watered down iced tea served in a flimsy plastic cup. Then to add insult to injury, they wanted to charge me full price again for a refill.

I didn't see any locals eating at Paradise Restaurant, and they definitely don't seem to be looking for repeat business. However, as long as cruise ships disgorge thousands of new tourists every day at their front door they can probably get away with it.



Turtle Burger was on the menu and since I had never had turtle before I decided to give it a try. It was just okay - something like a crab cake with a very soft texture on a white hamburger bun. This came with lettuce, tomato, pickle and mayonaise, accompanied by a tiny bit of cole slaw and a small styrofoam container of dirty rice. The dirty rice was decent. The burger was rather bland. For the price, I would never have a second one.

No comments:

Post a Comment