Friday, October 16, 2009

Cayman Islands National Museum



The Cayman Islands National Museum is located in the historic Old Courts Building in George Town, one of the island's few surviving 19th century structures. This wooden frame courthouse has survived countless hurricanes and nor'westers during its 150 year history. It has been used over the years not only as a courthouse but also as the town jail, a meeting hall for Sunday worship and civic dances. The complete story of this historic building is told in one of the Museum's exhibits.


Other exhibits in the museum tell of the Natural and Cultural history of the Cayman Islands, with a collection of more than 4,000 items. These range from tiny coins to a 14 foot catboat; natural history specimens to rare documents.

The museum complex includes a Museum Shop and a small cafe, The Cool Caboose

1 comment:

  1. Great post on Cayman! I am a lover of history and I love to visit museums and monuments. When I came to know there are few very nice museums in Cayman, I was very happy and now I think I am going to book tickets for me and my wife. She would love to find a good Cayman Tattoo shop as well.

    ReplyDelete