Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Dolly Parton Statue, Sevierville, Tennessee


Sitting directly in front of the Sevier County Courthouse is a statue of the county's favorite daughter, Dolly Parton. A plaque beneath the statue reads: DOLLY - This statue of Dolly Parton was erected through the generosity of the people of Sevier County, Dedicated May 3, 1987.
I once heard Dolly interviewed on nationwide television when she said that of all the many honors she has received in her life, this statue erected by her hometown friends is the one which she cherishes most. Those who know Dolly only superficially sometimes are not able to see beyond her show-business persona. But behind those silicone enhanced hooters beats the heart of an extremely intelligent woman, astute in business and generous to the core.
She is highly respected in Sevier County not only because of her awesome talent or because she is the best known person to ever come from these hills. Her local business enterprises have provided employment to hundereds of local people, and her foundation has done much to raise the level of literacy in this once backwoods mountain community.
I identify with Dolly because she and I both come from East Tennessee families of 12 children. Also, her grandfather and my father were both Church of God preachers. Even though I have never met Dolly personally, I was acquainted with several of her family members when I lived in Sevierville. For one summer, when they both were both much younger, Dolly dated my older brother, Philip.

No comments:

Post a Comment